Thursday, March 29, 2012

Preparing Your Child to Love God's Word

For Parents to Ponder: How To Use a Storybook Bible

I am a huge fan of a GOOD storybook Bible that weaves the stories of the Bible together in order to help young children (and adults!) see the entire Story of God. One of my favorites is the Jesus Storybook Bible because every story points to Jesus. I especially like how the book handles the Old Testament. believe that on this side of the cross, the Old Testament is best understood when we keep Jesus in mind. This book does an excellent job of that. I want you to notice that I am calling them books, not Bibles. Like any book written by man, it contains errors. Things you may not agree with. Things you can disregard. In fact, I want you to know, there are things I don't like about this (or any other) kids story Bible. However, like training wheels, these books can be an excellent tool, as long as we know how to use them. Also like training wheels, it will require something of you, the parent. I encourage you to set aside some time today to read from your Bible what your children are reading in theirs. 

Here are a few tips for using this book to its fullest potential:

Teach your childiren WHY we read the Bible. 


  • The Bible is not a rule book. It contains rules, but they are not the point. PEOPLE and their behavior is NOT the point. GOD and His behavior IS the point. Only the Bible can teach us what to believe about GOD.
  • It is not a book of heroes for them to copy. God is the Hero of this story, and we are to copy Him alone. As we believe God, our behavior changes. As you read any story, notice with your child how people's behavior changes depending on what they are believing about God.
  • The Bible is God's Story. It is a story of how God loves His children and comes to rescue them. And it is TRUE! 

Teach your childiren WHO to look for in the Bible. 


  • Jesus is the central figure of the ENTIRE Bible, and when we know that, we understand it ALL better.

Point them to the REAL Bible. 


  • AFTER you read to your child from their book, please show them where it is in the REAL Bible. Under the title of each story in their book, it tells you where to find it in the real Bible. (I found this week's passage, Psalm 19, so inspiring!).
It is also important to know the weaknesses of this kind of book:
• It will misquote/paraphrase God. 
Personally, I don't like that. Whenever I read a quote from a story Bible that is supposed to be what God or Jesus said, I instead say, "It was like God was saying..." I will often go back and read the exact words from the real Bible.

• It will leave out some good stuff. 
BEFORE you read to your child from their book, I strongly encourage you to read it for yourself from the REAL Bible. Then, as you are reading with your child, you will be able to include extra details, depending on their questions/interest level.

• It will add in some inaccurate stuff. 
BEFORE you read to your child from their book, I strongly encourage you to read it on your own first. You may want to leave a sentence or two out. If they ask why, tell them that part is not in the REAL Bible.

In fact, in our lesson we talked a lot about the REAL Bible, and how it is different from any other book: it's words contain the breath and life of God! Below are some ways you can carry on the conversation at home. 

Our Lesson: The Story and the Song (p12)
In the REAL Bible: Psalm 19Hebrews 1:1-4 
(The links will give you those passages in the New International Reader's Version, much easier for kids to grasp.)

Truth about Jesus: The entire Bible is about Jesus.
Take Home Verse: 2 Ti 3:16 “God has breathed life into all of Scripture."
Belief Builder: When we believe what God says in the Bible, His words fill us with His life.

Talking Points (to review the Take Home Verse):
Whisper, "I love you" on your child's hand throughout the week, or before you read the Bible together. Notice together that they can feel your breath on their hands. That breath proves you are alive. Remind them that the words in the REAL Bible come from God, who is alive. Encourage them that if we listen and believe with our hearts, we will feel God tell us, "I love you!"

Look at a balloon. Notice together that before you blow it up, it is empty and lifeless. That can remind us of two things: words that do not come from God do not contain God's life; people who do not believe God's words do not contain God's life. God gave us His words so we could believe them and be filled up with His life!

By the end of the week, notice that your balloon is deflated. Remind your child that we are like that balloon, but when we start to feel flat or saggy, we don't have to stay that way! We have the Bible, and we can read it again and again. The more we read it and believe it, the more God's words fill us back up again! Some people read it almost everyday! (Kill the word should from your vocabulary. Reading God's word is a privilege, not a chore.)

I hope you have a great week full of God's life and Spirit!

No comments:

Post a Comment